Seasonal Cleaning

Poisonous House Plants-for your pets

As I was scrolling my feed on Twitter today, I came across an article that piqued my interest. A lady wrote about her cat inhaling the pollen of a lily and was rushed to the vet. This lady had no idea that lilies are poisonous to cats and either did her male friend who is a cat owner too, that gave the flowers to her. She talks about all the friends that never knew and they have cats. The cat survived and is fully recovered but my first thought was how did nobody know about this? This story inspired me to write this post. I have 2 cats and 2 Siberian huskies at my house and I’ve known since I was a teen that certain plants cannot be in the home if you have pets.

Lily plants

Pink Tiger Lily

Lilies are one of my favorite flowers, they are beautiful but if you have cats and/or dogs, they need to kept away for their safety. The pollen is poisonous to your fur baby and causes acute kidney failure. The signs to look for are lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, halitosis, dehydration, seizures, excess thirst or urination and death.

Poinsettia

Red poinsettia

 

As we get closer to Thanksgiving and Christmas, we start thinking of the decorations to put up, the cookies to bake, the gifts to buy and the plants that give a holiday touch to the home. Poinsettias were always one of my mothers favorite plants and they remind me of Christmas around our fireplace with the snow falling. This lovely plant is mildly toxic to cats and dogs but does not cause death. The signs are skin irritations, drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Holly and Mistletoe

Mistletoe
Holly

Real dried or fresh Holly and Mistletoe for you home decor looks beautiful and gives the home a cheery holiday feeling. They are both poisonous to your cats and dogs causing upset stomach, respiratory distress, and unusual behavior. If you pet consumes large amounts it will cause seizures and death.

Christmas Fir Tree

Fir Tree

 

I know lots of people who get a fresh cut tree from a farm or the wild. Aside from the bugs that live and infest wild trees or the pesticides that are sprayed on tree farms, the fir produces oils on the needles and bark that can harm your pet. It can cause vomiting, drooling, irritation and the needle can cause stomach obstruction or puncture. This is certainly not something we want to see our fur babies go through. Yes plastic trees have plastic needles that can cause harm if ingested but much less likely. Real tree shed a lot of needles on the floor and this is most likely how the dogs and cats get them.

Conclusion

It’s always wise to research plants, trees, flowers and herbs you want to keep in your house.  If you notice any of the signs listed or you think your pet has eaten something that they should, call your vet.  If you have a room that the pets cannot go into, that is fine. These are only a few plants that are the most popular in North America.

If you like this post, leave a comment below.  If you have a suggestion, fill out the contact form.  Thank you for visiting.

 

 

 

Please follow and like us:
0

2 thoughts on “Poisonous House Plants-for your pets

  1. I appreciate you bringing these plants to the attention of the standard home owner. However just to point out, my wife had mistletoe in her house growing up with cats around all the time. Now to be fair, it was kept at the top of a door so the cat’s couldn’t reach it and it was the dried version so it wasn’t shedding where the cats could get into it either. Spreading knowledge about these plants can give a good insight to those around you so thank you for the information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *